This hump day marks several momentous occasions:
- The week is half over, ergo we are only 2 days away from a long holiday weekend.
- We are halfway through the year 2010.
- My birthday month has come to an end.
These milestones left my mind swirling with thoughts this morning. Among them:
- Holy crap, how did we get here? I still remember January as if it was just a few weeks ago.
- Good grief, a lot has changed in the last six months! Perhaps, time has flown by, in part, because I’ve been distracted with some major life changes. When the year started, I wasn’t sure where I would be in six months, but it definitely wasn’t here!
- Am I making the best of this year? I started the year with a mission of making each day count and being a better person instead of just a workaholic.
In case you haven’t noticed, I also felt the sudden need to start making lists. I’m a bit of a “lister” anyway. Okay, that’s an understatement. I am an obsessive, compulsive lister. In fact, my lists typically include things I’ve already done so that I can scratch something off and feel accomplished. But, I digress. Moving on…
I think it’s important to check in with yourself to see how things are going. Are you happy? Are you staying focused on what matters to you? Where do you want to be in six months – one year – five years? Are you headed on the right path to get there?
I flipped-flopped all day between the “2010 glass” being half-empty vs. half-full. It’s been a pretty good year so far, but, still, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I haven’t accomplished nearly as much as I thought I would. So, I decided to put pen to paper and see where things stand.
As always, I started with the good news — my list of 2010 pros.
- I was offered and accepted a new job.
- We paid off our second mortgage and solidified our “financial freedom” plan.
- We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary… with no “itch” in sight.
- My running is right on track — I coached a great group of half-marathoners, set a new half marathon PR, and am on my way to more marathons this Fall.
- My cycling is on a roll — I started really riding and am getting stronger every week.
- Combined running and riding, I’ve logged over 2,000 training miles. (You can debate amongst yourselves whether this should go on the ‘other’ list.)
- I took a few photography workshops and discovered yet another passion.
- I rekindled an old passion when I started a blog that reminded me how much I love to write.
- I became an aunt.
When the time came for me to list the bad news, I quickly discovered that the list was much shorter than I envisioned.
- I changed jobs, in large part, to have more free time. Yet, somehow, I feel even busier.
- I still feel like I’m not making enough time for my family and friends.
- I am eating out even more and cooking way too little. (For the record, immediately after creating this list, I started cooking dinner.)
- I’m pretty sure I haven’t had a full week of sleeping more than 7 hours a night since 2009.
With my lists complete, I had to admit that the “cons” were not only much shorter, but also, on the whole, less meaningful. And, I still have six months to make the list of cons disappear. So, I’d say we are halfway to greatness. 🙂
How about you? Is the glass half-empty or half-full?