The day things got serious.

Over the weekend, I received an email that started like this:

Dear Marathon Runners:
There are only 42 days until the start of the 34th annual St George Marathon!  You will be hearing from me often over the next few weeks. Today I would like to bring to your attention some important news…

My response, “Holy crap!”  (Or something to that effect, because we’re trying to keep it PG here.)

Within an hour, I had downloaded and fully analyzed the course map and elevation chart; scoured the Internet for blogs and message boards by people who’ve run St. George (all of whom raved about the course and set PR times, by the way); and tracked down a race-specific pace chart that tells you exactly what pace you should run for each mile, taking into consideration the course’s ups and (mostly) downs.  And, of course, I sent these materials to everyone I know who’s running St. George.  Because I’m helpful like that.  🙂

I truly am one of those people who just needs to know.  As long as I know the truth – the good, the bad, and the ugly – I can handle just about anything.  Case in point :: Armed with my newfound knowledge and stories about the race, I quickly went from “freak out” mode to “kick ass” mode.  (That’s PG, right?) 

It’s time to get serious. 

No more ‘cheating’ on the diet because I ran 40 miles last week.  I need to safely get down to my ideal race weight, which is about 3-5 pounds less than my training weight.  No more skipping workouts – whether it’s a run, a ride, or core strengthening.  I need all the extra kick I can get!  (“The only difference between ‘try’ and ‘triumph’ is a little umph.”  Cheesy, but true.)  No more self-doubt.  I will run another great marathon this year.  I will not only get my Boston-qualifying time, but I will run the best race I have in me. 

Ironically, just as soon as I decided it was time to get serious, my body decided it didn’t feel like doing my 20-mile long run on Sunday.  After two miles, I was dizzy, nauseous, cramping, and could barely even peel myself off the floor at the running store to tell my group to go ahead with me.  (Fortunately, the moment passed, and I was able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.  The upshot here was that Brad and I got to sleep in – together – two days in a row.)

Still, I would not be deterred.  I got up this morning and ran 15 miles – by myself – covering every hill I could find.  I even timed the hills to coincide with where St. George gets hilly, although our ‘Dallas hills’ are nothing compared to the volcano I’ll climbing at mile 8!  My pace was perfect.  My heart rate stayed in the right zone.  And, most importantly, my mind was in the game.

So, Mr. Marathon:  When it’s time for us to meet again, I’ll be ready!  Bring it on!


About Beth

Wife, daughter, big sis, aunt, friend, attorney, runner, cyclist, amateur chef & aspiring photographer. Thanks for keeping up with my life on the run!
This entry was posted in running. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s